Sunday, July 11, 2010

Huon Pine - All Australian, All Tasmanian

Yay, oh no, yay...



Huon Pine is regarded as one of the oldest plants on earth. It is also endemic to Tasmania, meaning it cannot be found in any other place on earth... so itÅ› pretty special.

However due to its incredibly slow growth rate of between 0.3 – 2 mm per year in diameter, the logging of this rain forest species has now ceased, which is a huge relief. So all Huon Pine trees are now fully protected.

So when I popped int the Salvo´s yesterday little did I know I would strike gold, for I came across a Huon Pine shallow bowl. It did kind of sadden me to think this precious timber was no longer seen as a prized possession by the previous owner. But then I rationalized it by thinking that I was meant to ¨save¨ this bowl from the possibility of going to landfill. Hence, the yay, oh no, yay!

There is a sigma attached to Op shops but I like to see op shop buys as a contribution to charity. Although those who can afford new items shouldn´t take away from those who do need to buy used goods at low cost, I think as long as there are items still available to those in need and so long as funds are going to the charity, it is okay. But please correct me if I´m wrong. I also think it can be motivating to demonstrate that there is no shame to wear/use second hand items and that one can still look fabulous when styled accordingly.

*Note: There are still two Huon Pine Timber Mills in Tasmania but they only cut salvaged saw logs from former dam construction sites.



No comments:

Post a Comment