Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Day 3 LBL Challenge

There seems to be no fruit in the diet and also not much veg. So back to the grocers I go. Luckily for me, my folks live near a grocer shop called Get Fresh that sells Australian fruit & veg super cheap and apparently sometimes they just give it away! I like their philosophy, better to give than to bin it. So again I added the Grocery List.

Wednesday is Hump Day. And I have hit a hump. Two things, the fruit&vege issue and, after 2 days I´m bored. What I´ve realized is that I like variety, variety gets me excited. I thought not caving into my sweet tooth urges was a massive achievement but gone now is the excitement I get from food and that just hurts. I guess I should get excited that I get to eat, right? Hmmm...

I also think I´ve made a mistake, not in regards to doing the challenge but the spending part. I´ve spent more than $10 in groceries but I haven´t spend over $2 a day if I proportion it. So hopefully this is okay. If not please tell me. Or maybe I should just twitter @livebelowline. Aaaah twitter, it´s a love hate relationship.

Didn´t really have time for breakfast this morning so I just grabbed some fruit to eat through out the morning.

Breakfast - pear, banana & mandarine, cost = 88 cents



Lunch - 2 garlic toast, 1 clove garlic, tea with 1 sugar, cost = 47 cents



Dinner - 50g rice, 1 egg, tbl soy, miso soup cost = 85 cents

Day 3 Total cost = $2.17
(oh no but seeing I have 24 cent left from Day 1&2, I choose to use these funds)

Today has been a bad day nutritionally. Should I do the challenge again, one thing I now know is I need to plan and research where best to buy low cost groceries.

Oh I did make an enquiry to @livebelowline asking if free coupons were allowed. The answer ¨it´s really your choice¨. So as much as I like the my choice part, I feel it´s kind of also saying ¨if you must cheat, this is a good way¨. Which is true as people living in poverty don´t have this choice and so using the coupon would defeat the purpose of the challenge.

3 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure the conditions said it is ok to do portion pricing, cause of course to make the budget you would need to buy a kilo of rice (for example) but likely wouldn't consume it during 5 days.

    even though it is only for 5 days I would be a bit concerned about the lack of veggies, although you seem to be going ok in the fruit consumption.

    I am thinking of (attempting) developing a couple of super low cost recipes for people to try (to combat the lack of variety problem). What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey fizzleout!

    Thanks for your thoughts. Would luv to try out your super low cost recipes. I think I rushed into this challenge but lucky it´s a trial so maybe I didn´t rush into it afterall. But planning does play a major part in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. will be sure to let you know when I manage to get a few minutes to try something out! Just reading about your experience has made me look at prices so much more in the grocery store... I normally just look for quality over price but its nice to be aware of how much things actually cost.

    Yes planning would make things a lot easier I'm sure! Glad to see you got through it... will make August a lot easier for you! Especially if you can rope a few friends in and do 'below the line' dinner parties.

    ReplyDelete