Thursday, July 8, 2010

Day 4 LBL Challenge

Today I CAVED. I am not proud but I am honest. My excuse is I was at work my stomach was growling and the growls grew louder. I did try to drink hot water to fool my stomach into thinking it was hot soup but obviously that doesn´t work or else everyone would be doing it, right?

Breakfast - 1 slice of bread, banana, tea with 1 sugar cost = 48 cents



So what did I do? Stuck in West Melbourne, not surrounded by shops, off to the office vending machine I went. And out dropped a packet of sour cream & chives Grainwaves. Boy were they good. And the cost? Ouch! Practically my whole budget $1.70.



So I am pretty much over budget but I decided to persist to se
e how much more I would go over budget by.

As it so happens I had a shocker of a day. Being attacked with words from one person´s ugly jealousy, I felt ill and I couldn´t eat. So maybe I should be thankful for their schizo-ness?? But what I do know is I am thankful for my friends. Lunch? A dose of thankfulness cost = nil

Feeling deflated, I needed a pick me up. So taking in fizzleout´s comment that it´s ok to do portion pricing, I decided I needed my cheese. So off to the supermarket I went to buy Australian home brand pasta, cheap broccoli and a block of parmesan. Add to this what I already have, garlic and
olive oil, and ta-da. Broccoli pesto linguine. Cost, yes over budget but not too bad considering everything is local. Cost = $3.44 /2 serves =$1.72



Day 4 Total = $3.90


Not good but also not bad. Whole day under $5 bucks. I do feel a guilty though, which makes me more determined to achieve this challenge in August. Much planning is necessary. And who can I recruit?!

¨Women are more likely than men to be at risk of hunger¨ - UN

If you haven´t noticed, I don´t eat meat. My reason: In an UN report it was found that
¨we grow enough edible grain to provide 50% more than is required for every person in the world¨. Yet world hunger exist. It is from this fact that I choose to live a meat-free life.

4 comments:

  1. Hi,
    hope you don't mind but as a vego too I think I know why your so hungry? you haven't had any protein. Add some lentils, beans or even yoghurt and milk (am assuming your a lacto vegetarian as you eat cheese?) and you'll feel more full and it will help with your challenge.
    Good luck it's a very admirable thing you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susan!

    Thanks for your tips and comments! I really appreciate it. I'm glad I did this trial. I will start planning for August with your tips in mind! Keep well and stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm doing LBL for an entire mont starting in 10 days, and I'm vegan..thoughts there?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Erin

    I guess what Susan mentioned. But from talking to other peeps, dahl and rice, or even a nice vegetable curry is quite doable. Can you have coconut milk? Vegetable lentil soup is quite feeling too. And good ol´ muesli in the morning. Funny how much I know now!! Good luck! If you come across any good recipes do tell!

    ReplyDelete