Monday, July 5, 2010

Day 1 LBL Challenge

It´s only Monday and boy has it been a pretty busy start to the week. So let´s get to it.

I generally try to buy organic and/or local where possible but in completing the Live Below the Line challenge I had to forgo the organic but I still did try to buy Australian. Not all ended up being a product of Australia as they just don´t exist such as miso soup and dry shiitake mushroom.

The Grocery List
  • Multi grain bread
  • Free range eggs
  • Australian olive oil
  • Dried shiitake mushrooms
  • Marukome instant wakame miso soup
  • Leek
  • Garlic
  • Sun rice Doongara clever rice (product of Australia)
  • Soya sauce
  • Australian Sugar
  • Silken Tofu
  • Tea
  • Banana
  • Pear
  • Mandarin

Breakfast
- 2 slices of bread, 1 egg, cost = 57 cents


Lunch - 2 slices of bread, 1 serve of miso soup, cost = 37 cents



Dinner - Fried rice
(1 cup uncooked rice, tbl olive oil, 1 clove garlic, 1/4 leek, 1/4pkt shiitake mushrooms, 1 egg & tbl soy), cost = $1.90/2 serves = 95 cents




DAY 1 Total = $1.84


What I can conclude from Day 1 is that this is going to be one carb loaded week. Luckily for me, I like carbs, so all is good.

Oh by the way, I never had that starving feeling but when it was time for a feed my stomach did let me know. Fortunately for me, they were timed perfectly a grumble at 6am, 1pm and 7pm.

3 comments:

  1. Nice one! I can't believe how cheap that is!!

    amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good on you! I think it is a fantastic cause and a great concept...

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey mc!

    hmmm... amazing ... kinda made me worry so re-checked the calculations and get this it worked out even cheaper!!

    ReplyDelete