Saturday, July 31, 2010

Home Truths #10pcs91days



Today was the last day of my version of GreenByDesign 10 piece challenge and not only was I glad for it to be over, I was actually happy to spend the day ill in bed so that I didn't have to think about what I was going to wear on my last day.

I was over the challenge for a couple of reasons.

Relying on 10 pieces meant constantly doing the washing even when I didn't have much to wash. I would either have to wait til there was enough for a full load or I would have to hand wash the clothes instead. Either way, my favorites started to wear and fade from the constant washing and it became quite an inconvenience.

Life also became dull. As I work in an office environment, most of my pieces had to be work appropriate, which meant clothes had to be pretty basic aka plain. The problem with this was that it would then filter over to my weekends and evenings, thus I could not separate work from my personal life.

What I found from doing this challenge was that I like variety and not having variety surprisingly affected me. I felt I couldn't express myself and I felt restricted. Restriction does not sit well with me. This challenge required me to constantly think about what to wear, when to wear, when to wash, which although doesn't seem like a huge ask, for me it was as I couldn't be my carefree self. I didn't have the luxury to purchase new pieces I came across since I wouldn't be able to wear them, so what was the point.

This challenge did bring about some home truths. I never thought of myself as the vain type but maybe I am just a tad. I definitely don't want to be one of those people who, as Tim Jackson puts it, "spend money we don't have on things we don't need to create impressions that don't last on people we don't care about". But I do in my life want to have choice and I want to spend time thinking about the bigger things rather than wasting it on scheduling my washing and wears. Moderation is the key.

Another challenge, not quite enjoyable but muchly welcomed for now everything I buy will have meaning and appreciation.

¨In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different¨
- Coco Chanel

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An awesome job well done, Carrie. It's time to head out shopping and unplug all the restrictions. I offer you a 50% off anything you like at So Ethic.
    Much love, B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! I have been doing the challenge, too and I can't agree more. It was a breeze the first month but as time went on, and my faves, too, began to deteriorate, now... I can't wait for it to be done. We have a few more weeks but I've been sneaking in a few cheats so much that it's taking everything, EVERYTHING, in me to not call it quits soon. We at Green By Design thank you for your efforts. It is definitely a "challenge" in every sense of the word. More power to greenies and for helping in any which way they can!

    Mira Torres - Social Media at Green By Design

    ReplyDelete
  4. So Ethic is so good to me! Definitely will take you up on the offer. I would like a new pair of jeans and I so hear So Ethic does have some in stock! See you soon B! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Mira for your comments! I'm kind of glad to know it wasn't just me struggling. I was thinking am I that weak?! But full on kudos to you and everyone else for doing it for 91 days! Luv your work at GreenByDesign.

    ReplyDelete