Saturday, July 10, 2010

Day 5 LBL Challenge

Yesterday was the final day of the Live Below the Line trial. Day 5. And it was a tough day because I was feeling tired, I had been without coffee for 5 whole days and I had cake cravings, especially cheesecake.

As kind folks have pointed out, my nutritional intake was questionable. Having jumped into the challenge without planning my meals was my first mistake. What I bought for Monday ended up dictating the rest of the week which would be okay if eating the same meal everyday wasn´t a problem for me. I always knew I loved food but I didn´t know it was the different combinations and the ways in which dishes were constructed that led me to the love.

I think the challenge is difficult when you are fortunate, as there were many times I just wanted to whip out the purse and go screw it. Even though I did succumb on Thursday, I still persisted as I wanted to experience what it would be like to walk in another person´s shoes. To walk in their shoes meant not having that option to say screw it, to walk in their shoes meant being soo cautious with spending and waste (waste nothing) and to walk in their shoes meant accepting that there would be times when you just have to go without. The experience has been such an eye opener for when we are fortunate we tend to take things for granted and we tend to be selfish without knowing it.

Completing the Live Below the Line challenge during August with a brunch of friends would be the way to go. It´s quite difficult to complete the challenge when others around you are not participating. Doing it as a team could even work in your favor. Say in a team of 5, if each took turns in making dinner, not only would you have variety but you would also be preparing dinner only once. Yeah!

Breakfast
- mandarine, banana cost =
70 cents



Lunch
- 2 slices of bread, pear cost = 33 cents




Dinner
- miso soup, 1/16 leek, 50g rice, 1/2 tube silken tofu cost = 85 cents




Day 5 Total cost = $1.88

From the 5 day challenge, my favourite meals have been the fried rice from day 1 and yesterday´s stewed pear on toast. Though may not look so great in the photo, the caramelized pear was yum and it gave me the lift I needed!

No comments:

Post a Comment