Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Thank you and to clarify…

One of my besties stated one of the obvious, which I’m pretty sure is in your thoughts as well. “Isn’t flying a huge carbon emitter?” I’m not going to argue that it isn’t because it is. Although I hope to be green, I don’t expect to disregard everything around me. Reality is that it’s not possible to be 100% green, especially overnight given our current living ways. The greenest person would be the one who sits in a box and does nothing but eat a bit of grass, drink a bit water and wait for the inevitable, bye bye world. For if they were to read a book that would be bad as a tree would have been destroyed and carbon dioxide would have been emitted from the production of the book. So, I’m not saying we shouldn’t live without certain things, what I am saying is to live with less and/or live responsibly.

I believe diversity creates better people. Diversity does not just come from within but also from afar. I would love to be able to cycle to every destination in the world but again in reality and at this point of time, for me, it is not possible. So the most viable option available to me is to fly. Maybe buying carbon offset credits is seen as a cop-out but for this time being it I believe is my only option to get to Rwanda in the greenest way. Using CarbonPlanet’s carbon credits calculator, the below is the cost to offset the return flight.



Should I make it to Rwanda, I am happy to pay this $105 as by paying this cost I get to experience one of Africa’s most biologically diverse regions.

Rwanda is a country that faces many challenges ranging from overcoming poverty and developing sustainable energy resources to land degradation. Even with these challenges, Rwanda, the ‘land of a thousand hills’ continues to develop forward-looking strategies including the development of renewable energies including hydropower, solar power, biogas and methane gas for power generation.

At present, Rwanda is internationally-renowned for introducing a ban on plastic bags, nationwide environmental clean-up campaigns and the restoration of previously degraded natural rain forests as part of a chimpanzee conservation programme.

*****

Thank you all for your comments, please do keep them coming!
But what I do want to reiterate is that we might not be able to give up everything we love and that’s fine but we can find a way to compensate for it and live responsibly.


*if you wish to raise any questions to “spark debate” as like my bestie, please do as I welcome your comments as it helps me in the green process and I sincerely appreciate that.

No comments:

Post a Comment