Sunday, May 9, 2010

The power of one creates a little bit of magic

If no one takes that small step outside the box, then what hope is there for a future. It only takes one person to do something to make it count. No action is ever too small nor insignificant, for if we were to believe that one action cannot change the world, then we would be saying that this person doesn´t count and that would be wrong.

As consumers, we should feel empowered as we are in control of our purchases. Our purchases don´t just give a snapshot of who we are but it also tell us how much responsibility we are willing to accept as a consumer. When we make a purchase, true we are saying we like the item but we are also saying that this is how much I care about how it was made. The more we care, the more we are exercising our power in changing the way goods are produced such that it supports the environment and the rights of workers who produce the goods. Simply said, consumers are change agents. And we all are consumers.

If the US spends $680 billion a year solely on online advertising, can you imagine how much is spent worldwide in the advertising and marketing industry? Advertising is used to influence, manipulate and draw attention away from the things we wish not to hear, making it difficult for us to make informed choices. And so I started my blog. Joining many others out there who with the same thinking have decided to tell anyone willing to listen that we are exercising our power and they too can do the same by knowing where and how they can make better purchase decisions. The story of stuff is a great short clip that puts everything into perspective.


When I started blogging I had 3 objectives. To green my life, to eliminate the misconception that being green is costly, and to get people thinking, whether it be friends or random people I cross paths with. If from my blog I manage to instigate change, then I have achieved my purpose. I don´t expect readers to do a full 360 on me, though that would be nice but I am also realistic. I also believe individual actions can´t be forced. Longevity of our actions occurs when we do something because we want to not because we have been forced to. I draw parallels to those of a smoker. Smokers who quits cold turkey generally seem to relapse because they focus all their attention to forcing themselves to stop smoking that they don´t embrace the benefits of a smoke free life.

As I continue my green journey, I hope not just for people to follow my journey but the hope that by reading even just one of my postings, it will get people thinking and talking, maybe not directly about the posting but of the bigger picture and of World Environment Day. I have much hope. Take the story of late December in Philadelphia where a couple started a chain reaction by paying double: for their own meal and for the tab of another table of diners at the restaurant. For the next five hours, dozens of patrons got into that same spirit and paid the favor forward. This just proves how powerful one small action can create such magic.

* For this submission, the United Nations Environment Program (UNEP) will donate $10 towards Gorilla Conservation projects in Rwanda.

15 comments:

  1. The Power of One - great movie that and I thought the book was alright too: )

    Carrie, from what I understand - you've found a comp that will in some way- award your passion and efforts of raising awareness around environmental issues (albeit in a sustainable and chic way which is what sets you apart from the rest IMHO) via blogging.

    While I think you're completely mad for wanting to go to Rwanda - have you seen Hotel Rwanda? I haven't either but I digress... - because your belief and passion for greening is - in the simple but powerful words of PK - 'absoloodle absoloodle absoloodle'... I'm behind you. woohoo gorillaz!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some very good points you have raised Green Chick. Having just made several online purchases, you have really got me thinking about my thought process in acquiring these items. Did I think about the environmental impact my purchase would have? Unfortunately not, it was just whether the items would look good for this winter. I feel so selfish after reading your blog as you have raised some very good points and made me think about the bigger picture. Keep up the great work, will definately recommend your blog to friends and family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it when people break things down like it was done in 'The story of stuff'. It's good to think about things like - how long will I use this? do I really need this? etc... while buying things. And it's also good to add to our social conscience that if we aren't paying the full price for something then someone else is. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw your entry on the UNEP facebook page. I like how you've taken a different approach to a big issue. Your writing style is engaging. Good luck with the competition and keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am 100% behind you Carrie! I am so happy to know someone who is so passionate about sustainability and conservation and someone who's views are so similar to my own.

    I really hope you get there! And either way I am so happy the world have someone like you around to further the cause! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I certainly am not the most 'green conscious' person... but your blog and dedication inspire me to at least try to head in that direction.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree whole-heartedly Green Chick; we all have the power to make a difference. I don't understand people who don't even attempt to minimise their own waste. Recycling and reusing simple things such as plastic bags, glad wrap, containers, your green coffee mug, etc all can have a huge impact if we think about these things consciously and incorporate them into our day-to-day lives... Keep up the positive and motivating messages! I am very inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your blog has got me thinking about little things I could do to make a difference ... that is one of your three objectives fulfilled!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've started a conversation on afundamental issue underpinning human impacts on and management of our environment - our consumptive economy. Great work!

    My feeling is it's a complex issue and it's hard to disentangle the social, economic and cultural factors underpinning it.

    However, I really like you're approach - our own choices and actions are what we can change now. And I agree there's a cumulative benefit in reducing our excess consumption, making wiser choices, recycling and minimising waste.

    We definitely need more accessible information about how we can do this.

    Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well thought. Very Kick Ass!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The more I explore, I find being 'green' (am uncomfortable with the connatation in that word but its the best for now) is cheaper nearly every time. Initial purchase price MAY be higher but then financially efficient after that.
    Its good to see the attitude 'I will do my little bit'. And we may never know the full extent of our actions.

    caos Theory. A butterfly beating its wings in Indonesia affects the path of of a hurricane off Cuba. The maths actually stick.

    George Boole and Ralph Demorgan were early 19th century mathematicians. Booole figured out this (then considered) quaint system of Boolean algebra. Demorgan did some interesting -but pretty useless- work on logic. Neither had the slightest inkling of an idea that their work would become the corner stone of electronic computing and fundamentally alter the path of humanity and the planet.

    "From little things BIG things grow",,,

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your blog always gets me thinking and opens my eyes to some of the amazing green possibilities out there - I love reading about your suggestions and new discoveries.

    Keep up the good work and keep blogging, we need more people like you to spread the message.

    From Em

    ReplyDelete
  13. good luck carrie!

    your blog is really interesting... im really impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The video I've seen before but watching it again reminds me to think carefully before purchasing anything.

    It's so tempting to go to the $2 shop for all the little things like gift boxes, cards, frames etc but this means someone else is losing out.

    From the viewpoint of someone in the rag trade, what's terrifying is that even when you are paying a decent amount for something, chances are that it was made as cheaply as possible without compromising quality. So again someone pays.

    Consumers want to buy Australian made but often are not prepared to pay for Australian made.

    Something has to give.

    Love the blog and your thoughts Cars.

    Pauls.

    ReplyDelete