Saturday, April 24, 2010

GORMAN - pioneer for sustainable fashion

I'm not a perfect person and I don't deny that fact. Although I have given up eating meat for environmental reasons, I just can't give up leather goods. Yes, a contradiction and that is my weakness. But if I can make the right purchase decision then I feel I can justify my purchase. For me, when I buy a leather bag/shoes/belt, I know it will last. I like to think of myself as a minimalist, so when I buy a new item I generally will use it til it dies. What died recently? My everyday bag. What did I get to replace it? A leather bag from Australian label GORMAN.


Gorman is a label that takes a strong stance for environmentally friendly practices. Not only has Gorman launched a sustainable Organic Collection made from organic fibers and yarns, the label also focuses on insuring all the business’s practices are as ‘green’ as possible. Everything from the light bulbs to reduced Gorman packaging for products has been given thought.

what gorman has done so far...
  1. switched to 100% recycled green power in all gorman stores.
  2. reduced our garment packaging by 90% and always looking at ways to reduce it further.
  3. switched to recyclable packaging such as LDPE quality polybags, if needed at all.
  4. each time a customer rejects a shopping bag we donate the value of the bag to Friends of the Earth.
  5. customer shopping bags are made from 100% recycled paper.
  6. reduced garment miles by investing in our Vietnam factory and producing more ‘end to end’ clothing within close location.
  7. $5 from each green&serene tee sale goes to Friends of the Earth.
  8. created eco-friendly christmas window decorations in collaboration with Green & Blacks Organic chocolate.
  9. as a team we continue to make an effort to reduce our car and flight kilometres. locally we opt for cycling and walking whenever possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment