Sunday, March 21, 2010

Can Recycle Fashion be Chic? Part 1

For the past 2 weeks, it has been fashion fashion fashion in Melbourne town with the Loreal Melbourne Fashion Festival (LMFF). So you can imagine spread across all media, that was pretty much the news for the fortnight just passed. Not that it was a problem as I love all things creative and easy on the eye! Designers are inspirational leaders. They inspire people to achieve a look that defines who they are. Obviously, designers want you to buy their pieces but reality is not everyone can. This doesn't mean we then lose our identity, rather we seek alternatives to achieve the look from designers we hold in high regard. This leads me to the question, can recycle fashion be chic?

From way back, my mother use to say "one man's trash is another man's treasure". So right she was. Second-hand, vintage, pre-loved fashion, call it what you like, are items that have evolved into unique pieces with life still left in them in the eye of the beholder. Not only does it add an edge, a touch of interest and originallity to an outfit, it also encourages sustainable consumption. With this thought, I set myself another mission. At a recent LMFF parade, Australian label "Gorman" had their model strut down the catwalk in a leather mini, a loose sleeveless sequined circle patterned tank and a chunky red knitted neckwarmer/scarf. So channeling Gorman's latest collection, I set myself the mission to find a Gorman inspired outfit from a day at the Sunday market.

Stay tuned to what I find...

No comments:

Post a Comment