Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Masterclass



Much of Saturday just passed was spent at uni. Although I whine and moan about waking up early on my free day, I was still glad to have to made it to class. You see it has taken me literally years to truly appreciate the fundamental purpose of university. Unlike my undergrad¨experimentation¨ years, which I do regard as some of my best years, at postgrad level I am surrounded by like-minded and passionate folks all with similar goals. I am so amazed with this group of intellects that I often find myself too awe to even speak. Though I must say there are some who can ramble a bit too much but seeing their passion it´s forgivable.

Although every class is insightful, what made this particular Saturday class special enough to deserve a posting on Green Chic? Well, it´s all got to do with Frank and his family. You see, for class Frank spoke about the localism of our food and the different ways we define local. Is it within 100 miles or is it as his daughter suggest, food that is from the garden? In the case of Frank´s family, consensus would have it being the food that they grow. And wanting to share with us their take on local food, they packaged the seeds harvested from their garden and distributed them among the class. There were loads. Everything about this act of sharing was heartfelt. And now 25 others will have the opportunity to experience their localism. I do hope my seeds do spurt into the mini capsicum it says it will. Would be amazing to show and tell the fruits of my labour but I guess only time will tell.

2 comments:

  1. Wow - Thanks for your post. The girls are going to be so excited to see that their seed packets have made it onto your blog.

    I do hope your seeds grow into mini capsicum and beans! In our garden they have been very successful - the capsicum were still fruiting well into winter.

    Cheers,
    Frank.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Frank for your comment! I´m chuffed that you got to read the post and I hope your girls are chuffed too! Watch this space when spring comes I hope to have much to show and tell!

    ReplyDelete