Saturday, August 14, 2010

"If I think, vote the Greens"



Itś a week til the election and naturally I will be voting greens.

The Republic of Everyone ¨fake¨ pitch on gruen nation summed it up the best with the tag line, ¨If you think, vote the greens¨. True to these words I am. I do think, I actually have been found guilty of thinking way too much.

I must admit though, I am not a full fledge greens voter. While they have my vote, I am not 100% sold on all their policies. But then again will there ever be a party that meets all our needs and wants? Highly unlikely as let´s be realistic, everyone´s priorities are different and though priorities do change as we grow, at this point in time, the greens are the party that aligns closest to my values.

I vote greens simply for the following reasons:
  • Making polluters pay. Compensating and retraining displaced workers is a much better use of our tax dollars than paying carbon credits to dirty industries.
  • Making education free and abolishing university fees. Everyone should be given the opportunity to achieve their full potential no matter what situation they are in.
  • Making fairer workplaces = No workchoices
  • Making transport sustainable. Removing GST on public transport, abolishing fringe benefit taxes, and increasing tariffs on imported four wheel vehicles.
  • Making my vote count and strengthening the voice of minor parties. If we didn’t have preferential voting then those who support a candidate who may appear unlikely to win would have to consider voting for one of the other candidates or otherwise have their vote effectively “wasted”. With the greens in the senate, we are likely to see more constructive negotiation and better outcomes for climate action as they can influence political outcomes by negotiating for good policy, or by obstructing from passing.
I don´t have a problem with preference votes going to labor as I prefer to have a confident leader than one who admits they are not qualified to make comments when probed. Errr hellooo but aren´t you like meant to be leading our country?

No comments:

Post a Comment