Saturday, November 27, 2010

Lighting up Off Grid

I am indifferent when it comes to IKEA. While I'm not a fan of uniform looks, IKEA does know a thing or two about style and design. They are at the end of the day Swedish and we do like em' Swedes! I guess if you can give your room/pad a touch of your own personality without it screaming 'brought to you by IKEA' then that's fine. While I still prefer second-hand/upcycled furnishings over IKEA, there are times when IKEA is the easiest point of call. Foruntately, they do recognize they have a responsibility beyond home furnishing, which you can read here.

So, the other day whilst running an errand and I came across IKEA Sunnan Solar Powered Lamps. Not only was I sold on price $19.95 but I was also sold on knowing that for every IKEA Sunnan lamp purchased worldwide, another is donated to UNICEF and Save the Children to enable children in homes without electricity to do their homework.

It's really simple to use. Take it out of package, leave it outside for 9hrs, bring it in and use it! A 9hr charge should last you 3hrs. I have one in my bedroom and surprisingly I have not had the need to charge it everyday. Quite impressive that I think I might just get myself another for the other side of the bed and make my bedroom completely offgrid when it comes to lighting. Can be done, especially now that we're in daylight savings time!

"In June 2010, it is one year since the SUNNAN solar lamp campaign started. So far, around 500,000 lamps have been sold. The two best selling SUNNAN countries are Japan and Italy followed by Germany, Switzerland and France. In FY11, IKEA hopes to sell one million SUNNAN lamps worldwide in order to enable the same amount of lamp donations to UNICEF and Save the Children."

So come on Australia! Start lighting up with an IKEA Sunnan!

No comments:

Post a Comment