Monday, March 7, 2011

Selling out to travel



I have a confession while I try to live a "green" sustainable life, there is one thing I just can't give up. Travel. I absolutely adore traveling. Immersing oneself in another lifestyle, another culture, knowing that there is so much out, is something I constantly crave, that is to seek out the unknown. So what can I do? I can offset my travel.

While I do see purchasing offsets as a cop out, it is necessary when there is no other option. Well the other option is to take a year off and gradually make my way to each desired destination, but that's not possible... well not at this point in time.

So how do I make my travel the greenest it can be? Take my weekend away to Sydney and Canberra.

Flights:
  • Melbourne to Sydney [.23 tonnes = $5.75]
  • Canberra to Melbourne [.15 tonnes = $3.75]
Shared car travel:
  • Hawthorn to Burnley to Tulla Airport (return) [7.4kms]
  • Sydney car rental to National Gallery of Australian Canberra [288.1kms]
  • NGA to Food to Canberra Airport [7.1km]
=> Total car travel per person = 302.6km = $62.75/3 = $20.92

TOTAL travel offset $5.75 + $3.75 + $20.92 = $30.42

Offset calculations via Climate Positive
[I've only offset my flights as I'm not too sure how to go about offsetting my portion of vehicle travel, or whether I have to offset the whole lot ie $62.75]

*Car travel 3 peeps
*Staying in the area we want to hang avoided any car/taxi travel as most things were within walking distance. Tho we did take the bus twice!
*Eating organic. An abundance of choice in Surry Hills, so that's where we stayed!






yes that's Anne Hathaway, she too paid a visit to Collector Store (tho not @ the same time as moi!)

No comments:

Post a Comment