Sunday, September 5, 2010

Tweaking the norm with blueberries

Happy Father's Day!


For some reason, it's always been in my family that as the kids get older, we up the ante on how much we spend on gifts for each other. It´s never been a rule or a requirement but I guess my bro and I just had the same thinking that as our salaries increased we would lavish our folks, as kind of a thank you gesture for getting us to where we are today. While my bro continues to strive for pole position in the corporate world, I on the other hand have done a 360, sacrificing the dollar for greater control over my life. While my priorities have changed for the better, so have my savings or lack of. Thus I can no longer lavish one with pricey gifts. Which is kind of great as now I find I put more thought into a gift.

My dad loves blueberries. So for father´s day I thought it would be quite fitting to buy dad a blueberry tree. Inexpensive and personal. Plus it fits in with my green queen ambitions.

A couple of months ago I met Joel from Moondarra Blueberries, during a uni excursion to Slow Food Farmers Market at Abbotsfords Convent. Moondarra Blueberries is an established blueberry plant propagator and producer of quality organic blueberries, with certification from the National Association of Sustainable Agriculture Australia (NASSA). NASAA is accredited with both AQIS and IFOAM.

What´s great about this purchase was not only was it a step in the slow food movement direction but I also found it quite refreshing to chat to the people who actually grow and work with the product. Their excitement became my excitement!

You can find Moondarra Blueberries either online or at various Farmers´ Market through out Melbourne.

And Dad, I´ve been told you should expect clusters of berries from this baby coming January.

No comments:

Post a Comment