Monday, April 18, 2011

Haigh's chocolate is not just chocolate



I work a part-time job to pay the bills and so that I can truly spend MY time working towards a sustainable future. Afterall, David Suzuki did say we needed to slow down, and slow down I have, no longer am "I heading towards a brick wall at 100 miles an hour."

What makes my part-time job tolerable is my manager. She understands my motivations in sustainability and lends her support to it. Bless her as my actual work and the organization I work for is far from accepting to environmental sustainability. An organization with offices nationwide and abroad, it's quite disappointing they are without a sustainability policy. This is something I hope to change... but will leave that for another blog post.

Anyhoo, with Easter drawing near, my manager gifted a Golden Murray Cod to my team in-place of Easter Eggs. No, it wasn't literally a slimy fish but a chocolate shaped fish from luxury chocolatier Haigh's. Such a lovely gesture. You see the Murray Cod is an iconic fish. It is the largest freshwater fish in Australia, growing up to 1.8 metres long and has an estimated life span of over 100 years! But it is now in danger. Numbers are in great decline and it has been classified as a vulnerable species. So what Haigh's has done is produce a Chocolate Murray Cod made in honour of the native Murray Cod. Part proceeds from the sale of every Haigh’s Chocolate Murray Cod goes to Healthy Rivers Australia (previously known as The Waterfind Environment Fund). This not-for-profit organization works to improve the health of Australia’s river systems and support the survival of our precious native fish species.

A lovely gesture as my manager did not just give me chocolate, she gave her support to a vulnerable specie.


click the above image to find out more on
Haigh's Green scheme

2 comments:

  1. mmmmm chocolate cod. I gifted a couple of these for Easter to some friends we were staying with. Such a great idea and nice to be able to give something a little quirky and local, as well as supporting a great cause. Hope you are well. LOVED the post on Wardrobe Wonderland by the way. You looked fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Phebs! Need a new neckpiece for winter, a pick me up, then I'll be looking super fine and not hung over! Peeps let's go shopping! http://www.etsy.com/shop/SimplyPhoebe

    ReplyDelete