Sunday, October 24, 2010

Crafty Wears - made in melbourne



This weekend was dictated by the crafts but in a good way. A week or so ago, I came across Emily Green via The Design Files and was instantly drawn to her colorful brooches. A textile designer by trade, she combines digital prints and resin to create her colorful delights. I am so sold by them that I make my way into town just to catch her at Craft Hatch market, a Craft Victoria initiative, showing casing the works of 25 emerging designers each month. And what a great item to own. For the next day as I made brief appearances in Fitzroy/Richmond/North Melbourne, I kid you not, I was showered with glowing comments over my new brooch. Who would have thought this colorful little pick me up would be such a conversation starter! The only hiccup and my bad, was I kept telling people the designer was Emma Green rather than EMILY Green. If only I had just said Em Green, I would not feel so bad. Oh well.

So the brooch was my Saturday buy. My Sunday buy was another seek out buy. I had met Simply Phoebe at Finders Keepers market a week or so ago. At Finders Keepers Phoebe only had stocks of winter-ish colors left which didn't agree with my bright colors only mission. But all was not lost as she would be at Spring Fling, a North Melbourne Errol Street festival to spruik her wares. Of course I followed and now I am the owner of this neck piece, which is made from recycled material/offcuts (mine I´m told has curtain pieces). Definitely a tick in my sustainability books, thus LUV. Luv so much I no longer need a new outfit for the races rather another neck piece will do me just fine. Reuse (dress & head gear), Recycle (neck piece made from recycled outcuts, and heels from camberwell market) and Reduce (my purchases/consumption), is my motto for Spring Racing Carnivale 2010. Now time to get onto Phoebe to see if she can whip me up the perfect Derby Day piece! Stay tuned.

3 comments:

  1. If you want Spring Racing inspiration for less, visit me!! This cost me $3.50.
    http://stylewilderness.blogspot.com/2010/10/cheapest-racewear-outfit-ever.html
    (next post will be on how I made it and what each bit cost)
    ... and I met Phoebe too, we are using her stuff in the Fair@Square festival fashion show in December!! Small world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have great taste, don´t we?! I just adore Phoebe´s stuff! Seeing her tomorrow, will snoop out what she has in store for Fair@Sequare festival! Will definitely be checking that one out! Anymore races? I´ll be at Derby and Stakes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, this is Dan from Creativo Surface Design. We are a textile/surface design studio located in NY. Currently we are looking for some new artists to compliment our existing talent as well as inject new design styles to our group. Currently we represent 10+ artists from around the world. We showcase to medium and large retailers and specialty stores in apparel, home furnishing, gift and paper goods. If you feel you or any of your friends/collegues may be interested in being represented by Creativo, drop us a line http://www.thinkcreativo.com/textile-designer-submission-form.html.

    Also, you can sign up for our Designers Corner newsletter to get more insight into the textile industry http://eepurl.com/bKfoD.

    ReplyDelete